Mushroom & Rice Casserole
This is one of my FAVORITE dishes..it goes together nice and quick, and is very tasty. The whole family enjoy it.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup, small curd cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp leaves fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb brown mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F (175° C). Rub a medium-large baking dish (around 9×13″) with a bit of olive oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms in olive oil sprinkled with a couple pinches of salt. Stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit.
- Add the onions and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are translucent. Stir in the garlic, cook for another minute and remove from heat. Add the rice (room temperature) to the skillet and stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream and salt.
- Combine the rice mixture and cottage cheese mixture in a large bowl, stir until well combined and then turn out into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese, cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes more or until hot throughout and golden along the edges.
- Sprinkle with the chopped tarragon, and the remaining Parmesan and enjoy.
- Note: based on recipe from 101 Cookbooks blog.
Would you like another great recipes? See this Recipe as well!