Sarah’s Cooking Corner – Coconut Rice & Beans (By Sarah Sutherland)
This is my go-to dinner on those nights when I just don’t have time to defrost meat or put together a fancy meal. This simple vegetarian dish is a dressed-up version of traditional rice and beans that uses coconut milk to replace some of the water when cooking the rice.
- 3 cups uncooked jasmine rice (you can also use plain white rice)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tsp. freshly minced garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can pink beans
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Combine coconut milk and water in a large saucepan or rice cooker. Add rice and cook as directed on the package.
- Saute the pepper, onion, garlic, and spices in the olive oil. Cook until peppers are soft and the onions are clear, about 10 minutes
- Add the cans of pinto beans, pink beans, and tomato sauce into the sauteed pepper mixture. Stir well; simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Serve over the coconut rice. Makes 5 servings.
DID YOU KNOW… Rice and beans make a full protein when you eat them together; for this reason, it makes a very inexpensive and healthful meal! Many different countries have their own traditional version of this staple. A man from Nicaragua chuckled and remarked that that “For breakfast we eat beans and rice, for lunch we eat rice and beans, and for supper we eat rice and beans mixed together.”