Carolina Rice & Mahatma Rice Printable Coupons

by Deborah on May 20, 2011

Wow! SmartSource is bring really kind to us this week.  I already mentioned to you the great coupons on Skittles and LifeSavers here, and now more new coupons!!

GO HERE and print any or all of the following coupons:

*Do you cook brown rice?  I was never able to get it to cook correctly.  Then one day, I bought a rice cooker, and it cooked my brown rice so well, that I never went back to eating white rice again.  When you consider the health benefits the whole grain rice gives you, you should try it.

Have any of you ever had success making brown rice on the stove?  Have you ever tried making it in a rice cooker?  Would love to hear.  Leave comments below.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Gena B May 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm 1

My Mom gave me a rice cooker for Christmas a few years ago and I love it! It’s the only way I can cook any kind of rice. I’ve tried to make it on the stove but it either burned or was way undercooked, no matter how long I cooked it, lol.

Cloi May 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm 2

We always eat brown rice. My whole family (including my young sons) prefer it. In fact, when my kids are served white rice anywhere else, they won’t eat it!
I cook mine on the stovetop. You have to use more liquid than you do with white rice.

Kym May 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm 3

We only eat brown rice and always cook it on the stove. We let it cook for 20-30 min on the burner and then let it sit in the covered pan for another 20- 30 minutes.

Jessica May 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm 4

I’ve never tried a rice cooker but it took a few unsuccessful dishes before I finally got it right. Cooking brown rice (on the stove) is definitely different from cooking white rice; I add a little extra liquid to it and cook a little longer. It does take some time to cook and get it right but the heath benefits is definitely worth it.

donna vines May 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm 5

I can never get it done on the stove….never tried a rice cooker…..but I think I will now.

Rebekah May 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm 6

I cook mine on the stove… 1 cup rice, 3 cups water, a little salt and a small bit of oil. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover with a lid wrapped in a towel. Let it cook for 25 minutes. Turn heat off and let it sit for another 25 minutes. Don’t take the lid off at any time until the very end. It’s pretty good this way, but I’ve never used a rice cooker so I don’t have anything to which I can compare it!

Leah McFarlin May 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm 7

I just wanted to comment that I tried to switch to a “bargain” brand, because the price was about 60% of what Tide costs, but I had to use 2x as much and the clothes still weren’t clean (I have kids and we live on a farm, so we have a lot of heavily soiled clothes). I had to switch back to Tide to save money. Love how it makes my whites white and everything clean.

I hang all of my laundry out. Nothing like fresh linens off the line and I’m being “green” as well, by not using my dryer.

Joan May 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm 8

Was the TIDE tasty, too?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm

Joan May 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm 9

Ok, on the rice issue. Hubby makes wonderful pork or chicken fried rice. He uses brown rice that I get at a little local Menonite store and it does seem to need more time and moisture to get it right. I’d forgotten about my rice cooker; might have to dig it out and give it a try!

Liz May 25, 2011 at 9:58 am 10

How come I can’t find this coupon?? Grrr!!!

I make my brown rice in the oven. Preheat oven to 375; bring 2 1/2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter (optional) and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (optional) to just a boil; put 1 1/2 cups brown rice in glass baking dish; once the water boils pour it over the rice and stir to combine; cover dish tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and place on middle rack of oven for 1 hour. Fluff with fork and serve.