Walmart will accept competitor’s coupons! Straight from Walmart!!

by Mary on January 4, 2011

Walmart will accept competitor’s coupons!!

;)

Yesterday I wrote that Walmart will accept competitor’s coupons and even included some screen shots of their current ad stating that they do accept competitor’s coupons and advertised deals.  See my post HERE.

Shortly after posting that several bloggers mentioned it was a mis-print, and that Walmart does not take competitor’s coupons.

I just received a letter from Ravi Jariwala , a Walmart Public Relations person with the following e-mail regarding that post.  I was thrilled to hear from Ravi.  I expressed many thanks to him for caring enough about my readers to respond back to me.

He has also included the Walmart Policy on both their, Price Match Policy: http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx and their – Coupon Policy: http://walmartstores.com/7655.aspx.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me, and I will be happy to ask Walmart to clear things up.

Have a great night !~ Deb

Here is the e-mail he sent to me.

Hi Deborah,

I saw your recent post about coupons at Walmart. There have been some

questions about this topic and I wanted to offer some additional

details. To clarify, Walmart will continue to accept all valid

manufacturer and print-at-home internet coupons with a scannable bar

code. In addition, Walmart will also match the price listed on any

valid competitor coupons that include a printed retail price for a

specific item (e.g., $2 for a 24 oz. bottle of Clorox).
We apologize for any confusion.

For further details, please see our price match and coupon policies

online:

- Price Match Policy: http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx

- Coupon Policy: http://walmartstores.com/7655.aspx

Many thanks,

Ravi Jariwala
Walmart Public Relations

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Patty January 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm 1

Thanks for the links. I was once refused a price match because the sale item required a store preferred shopping card. Now I know they do match those.
Also I noticed they accept only one coupon per item. That means no stacking of one store and one manufacturer’s coupon. Will still do better going to Target and Walgreens for those things.

Thanks again

Nannette Melamed January 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm 2

This isn’t a new policy then … they’ve always accepted coupons that stated item and price from another store as part of the price matching, they however are not accepting dollars/cents off coupons from competitors. It’s a bit misleading in my opinion. Gladly accepting competitors coupons means all coupons from competitors, their policy clarifies nothing. It’s so vague. Nothing has changed. Their ad got everyone riled up for nothing.

Am I wrong? Do you read this differently.

Carol January 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm 3

It still doesn’t say that Walmart will accept other store’s coupons. It says “store coupons”, but it doesn’t say that Walmart will accept, for example, Target coupons or KMart coupons.

Deborah January 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm 4

Here is his second e-mail to me.

Hi Deborah,

Please feel free to share it with your readers. We’ll accept any valid competitor coupons that include a printed retail price for a specific item.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Best,

Ravi

Deborah January 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm 5

@Carol

Here is his second e-mail to me.

Hi Deborah,

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Best,

Ravi

Stefanie January 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm 6

Lemme ask this: It says they will accept a competitor’s coupon w/ a printed retail price? What does that mean? They’ll accept a $2 Q but not a B1G1F Q? Just wanna make sure before I take competitor coupons to walmart. :)

Jennifer N January 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm 7

It also reads (to me) like they will accept a coupon with the PRICE for the item printed on it, not for an amount OFF an item (i.e. Walgreens in ad coupon for $ .89 item, NOT a $1 off ceral Target coupon).

It’s good, but not as good as I’d hoped!

Thanks for sharing the info and I LOVE the blog!

Linda January 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm 8

Hi all,
I went to wal-mart today and was excited about using my coupons, they would not take the visine up to $6.99 they said it was a free printed coupon and they would not take any printed free coupons because they would not get their money back for them, is this Wal-mart’s policy?
Wait for an answer here in Ky.
Thanks Linda

Jennifer C January 4, 2011 at 11:01 pm 9

I think it’s great that Wal Mart is reaching out to its customers via bloggers. However, I also feel they need to train their cashiers and customer service representatives on their policies. The last thing a customer wants to do is fight with a cashier over a price match or a coupon. Not only does this tick of the customer purchasing the product, but it ticks off the other customers in line. We can carry these policies around with us when we go shopping, but it shouldn’t be necessary. Wal Mart should take the time to properly train the necessary employees on its policies.

holly t January 5, 2011 at 8:39 am 10

Walmart in my experience has never price matched b1g1′s or % off’s. However, if there is an item listed in their flier on sale.. say Scott toilet paper 8 rolls for 4.99 and then you have a Rite aid Q for $2.00 off… I think they would price match and use the Q. Or am I wrong in that assumption?

Amanda January 5, 2011 at 9:12 am 11

Hmm…. I was wondering since it is so vague… maybe could you e-mail Ravi with scenarios (stacking, $/cents off competitor on a product, and throw in the price match, etc) to see which situations are valid? I think that would be most helpful.

Also, I’ve found out when I e-mail WalMart corporate regarding coupons, I note the store I went to, and submit the ? to corporate (where I dont have to e-mail the store in the other option) but WalMart forwards my question to the store, and has a manager call me to explain. I’ve asked to have a printed version of a clarification of their answer— but they always evade it and say they’ve retrained their cashiers. Yeah, right.

Thanks for all you do for us!

melissa January 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm 12

It’s still VERY misleading. “Walmart will also match the price listed on any

valid competitor coupons that include a printed retail price for a

specific item (e.g., $2 for a 24 oz. bottle of Clorox)”.

That is not a coupon, that is an advertised price. A coupon wold be $2 OFF of a bottle of clorox.

So they are basicly saying that they will accept the Wags in ad qs because it states a total price for the item, but they won’t take a Target q that gives me .50 of Colgate.

They are playing with words.

melissa January 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm 13

Glad I’m not the only one:)

melissa January 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm 14

Doesn’t even say that. It says that they will accept a q that has the FINAL price on the item, like wags instore qs that make a 2 liter of Coke .99.

They still won’t accept a q that take .50 a 2 liter of Coke if it is from Wags.

Tabitha (A Penny Saved) January 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm 15

I noticed the bit about the store savings card was not in this new policy but they did instate that about one year ago. Don’t know if they dropped it now or not.

Tabitha (A Penny Saved) January 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm 16

I actually had a CSM (Customer Service Manager) tell me that they did not train the cashiers because it was a long process. They just teach them the basics. She even said that some CSMs do not even know everything.

Lisa Ballmann January 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm 17

i took it to mean price match as usual. i cant see why a walmart would take a store money off coupon which they wouldnt get refunded by. However they should think seriously about doubling manufacturers coupons up to atleast .50 like schnucks so they get those customers also. That makes good business sence in my opinion. and not confusing at all to either customers or cashiers. like the ad was .

amanda February 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm 18

May i have Ravi email address?
I am having issues with the wal mart store aceepts competitors coupons and want a copy of the policy that states that wal amrt does accepts competitors coupons .

kamy July 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm 19

Wal-mart is really good if you have a cpn for more than the item is. like a 5$ cpn & the item is 4.20$ then you can make money off them not give them money . they will give you the 80cents or you can use it toward an item….
besides that Target is good for cpn’s but they are sometimes higher than wal-mart …..