Stockpiling ~ The Blessings of Stockpiling!

by Deborah on January 25, 2011

Photobucket

The Blessings Stockpiling

Now that you know how to obtain coupons, and have a few ideas on how to keep your coupons organized, you are ready to start saving a lot of money!!

If you have not read my first two articles of my, “Frugal Living Series”, please go here and read:

1. How to Obtain A Nice Collection Of Coupons!

2. How To Keep Your Coupons Organized

This week, we are going to talk about, Stockpiling and the blessings of doing this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had breakfast last week with a life time best friend that I hadn’t seen for a few years. It was great to see her and we had a lot of moments of tearful laughter remembering great times we had with each other through the years, mostly our high school adventures. Because you know with me, everything has to be “FUN”! “smile”

As we sat and visited and caught up with our lives, one of her questions she asked me was, “Do you still have 10 deodorants in your bathroom closet”!! Imagine that…..this is one of the “funny” things that came up as we caught up with each others lives. My answer to her was, “No, I have 20”!! Now that I’m doing a Frugal Living blog, I thought I would pick it up a notch.

Though this may all sound funny to you, I have always had a love of “Stockpiling”!! My first job I ever had, and basically the ONLY job I ever had was working for CVS. So at age 16, I was introduced to the world of “COUPONS”. It was amazing to me to see someone get something like, deodorant, that sold for $3.00 for $1.00. I soon starting grabbing the coupons out of my parent’s Sunday paper and the rest is history.

Well here we are 28 years later, and I am still in love with coupons and stockpiling!!

By now you are probably asking yourself, What is stockpiling?”

So today, I would like to share a few tips on how to build yourself a little stockpile in your home, in other words, a little “store” for your family and friend’s needs.

According to the Webster dictionary, the word “Stockpile” is defined as such:

accumulating and storing a reserve supply

So basically, you are doing just that. You are accumulating and storing a “reserve” of food, and health & beauty aids for your family’s needs. However, you just don’t accumulate these things when they are NOT ON SALE! I would even go as far as saying, “You don’t accumulate these things unless they are ON SALE & You have a coupon to stack on top of a sale.” You are stockpiling things you need for your homes at “Rock Bottom Prices”, so you never have to pay full price again!! That’s right. “Never Pay Full Price Again!! How does that sound?? That is how you can keep your grocery bill down!!

Let me give you a basic idea on what I mean by this…. Say your favorite toothpaste is Colgate Total. Well CVS sells their toothpaste at a regular price of $3.49 for their average size tube. For those of you who are still buying toothpaste, you need to KEEP READING! Now, CVS puts their toothpaste on sale a lot. The Colgate Total often gets put on sale for 2/$5.00. OK! So that is a savings of $ .99!! So one may say that they would be happy with that, and of course a $ .99 savings is good, but it is not GREAT!! What you should be waiting for is the CVS sale that looks like this: Colgate Toothpaste on sale for $2.99, Earn $2.00 Extra Bucks, Use $1.00 Coupon. Now you are not paying anything for your toothpaste. Even though the sale price started out at a larger sale price, the bottom line is FREE!! If the limit is (5) **YOU BUY FIVE. Regardless if you need five. Not too many people need five tubes of toothpaste in their house at once unless they have five bathrooms!!

I cannot tell you how many times I have been able to bless others by my stockpile.

So now you have five tubes of toothpaste, and you can wait until the next “FREE TOOTHPASTE” sale comes by to purchase some more. Believe me, you will not run out of five tubes of toothpaste before the next sale of FREE toothpaste. Between CVS, Walgreen, Rite Aid, Target, and Walmart, you should NEVER pay for toothpaste again!! I do suggest you write in large numbers the expiration date on the outside of the boxes where you can easily see it. This will allow you to pull the oldest tube first. This is a great job for 6-10 year old children that need to keep themselves busy while mommy fixes dinner.

It is so nice to send a child to the basement for a “FREE” tube of toothpaste when needed. You will do this for toothbrushes, shampoo, razors, deodorant, dish detergent, and the like. These things have a long shelf life and can save thousands of dollars over a few years. Trust me on this! I cannot begin to add up all the money I have saved through the years.

For stockpiling food, it is basically done on the same principle as stockpiling your health and beauty items. You just need to be careful not to over buy so it spoils, and becomes a lost instead of a savings.

An example of this would be Ortega black beans. Last year, I bought “75” cans of black beans for $ .35 each. Regular price $1.00-$1.25 depending on the store you shop at. How did I do that? Well, I had a coupon in my Sunday paper for $ .75/2 Ortega Products. Knowing how much I go through Black Beans, I ordered several more coupons through, “The Coupon Clippers”, which is a company that sells already clipped coupons. More on that later. So each coupon cost $ .10 and the cans cost me $ .25 to total $ .35. The cans went on sale 10/$10.00 at my favorite grocery store. So when the coupon doubled, it took $ .75 off each two cans I bought giving me a final price of $ .25 per can. Then you add the $ .10 for the coupon. Still an excellent deal at $ .35 per can that regularly sells for $1.00- $1.25.

Did I go through that many cans of Black Beans? You better believe it!! The expiration date on all the cans was 2012, so I wasn’t worried about going through that many before they expired. This does not mean you have to buy that many if your family doesn’t go through that many black beans. You could get 10 and still be saving a lot of money.

The key to stockpiling is to buy enough of a sale item to last your family about 12 weeks. It has been through my 28 years of experience of doing this that these sales are cyclical and usually take no more than 12 weeks to show up again. If the sale comes up before the 12 weeks, buy less at that point, but bring yourself up to a 12 week supply.

Start making a list of your favorite recipes and note what ingredients go in them. Once you’ve done that, watch for those items to go on sale, and when they do, stock up!

I have a weekly blog entry on recipes that are titled “Frugal Recipe Box”. These recipes are both frugal in time and money. Go HERE to see all the great recipes. Most of these recipes use a lot of the stock up items I have in my basement making it very simple to cook at home and not order out or go eat fast food. This not only keeps your budget in check, but it also cuts down on doctor’s visits from eating a more healthy diet.

Once you start, you will never stop. There is such a great feeling to know that you have several meals at your finger tips for pennies on the dollar. This also works out well for your teenage girls who want to cook. It is fun to go down to your stock pile and have them come up with a recipe using what you have on hand. Next time my daughters do this, I will take a picture and show you. Usually, I have them break the cost down per serving and see how inexpensive they can make their meal. It is like a game along with some math and creative cooking skills!

So basically what stockpiling does is, it allows you to keep your total grocery bill down. By only buying staples at rock bottom prices, and buying enough to last you until the next rock bottom sale, you will stop buying food at “premium” prices. It also helps you save time, because you always have something on hand to cook without having to run to the grocery store mid-week.

So to wrap this all up, I would like to bullet some key points to stockpiling. If you have any questions about stockpiling please contact me!! It would be a blessing to help you to get on your way to stockpiling for your family and loved ones.

1.Only buy stock pile items at “rock bottom” prices. After awhile, you will know what you’re willing to pay for things. Ideally, you should wait for a sale and use a coupon.

2.Always write the expiration date in large numbers with a permanent marker to make the rotation of items easier, and to prevent waste.

3. Only buy what your family can use before the expiration date. If it is a really great sale where you are getting the item for free, buy more and bless others.

4.When buying perishable items, a good rule is to buy enough to last you until the next rock bottom sale, which is approximately twelve weeks.

5.Buy a few Sunday papers so you can buy more than one of the rock bottom priced item. (Ask friends and neighbors for their unused coupons).

6.If you still would like extra coupons, go to, The Coupon Clippers, to obtain more coupons.

7.Organize your stockpile that will make it easy for you to find things.

8.Have a stockpile the “Frugal Living And Having Fun” way by getting your whole family into it. Ages 2-6 can help carry items to the stockpile area. Ages 6-10 can write expiration dates and rotate stock. Ages 10 and up can come up with recipes and help you cook!! Remember living Frugally can be a lot of FUN!! My family LOVES my stockpile, and so does all of our friends and family that eat here!! “smile”!!!

Go HERE and scroll through the pictures and see some of my “Weekly Shopping Adventures” and get an idea of how much I stock pile, and what I save.

{ 116 comments… read them below or add one }

Marilyn Wall January 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm 1

1) laundry soap stock pile
2) getting low
3) you always help with new Ideas very helpful thanks

Christy January 25, 2011 at 9:51 pm 2

Christy Ramsdell Gotta be honest, these articles are uncomfortable for me to read. It seems like, for the people who aren’t hyper-organized, this just creates a hoarding lifestyle?

Ronda January 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm 3

I want to stock pile.
Haven’t got that far yet.
I like the cooking thing you do with your teens, good idea!

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm 4

As stated in the article..you would buy what your family goes through – each person’s stock pile will look different. You could stockpile on a lower scale still saving thousands of dollars.

Maria January 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm 5

1. Yes, we stockpile everything, lol. 2. In the tubs of things that i have stored i write up a list with the exp date on it, so when i go to pull one out to use, the list is on top and i know which one to pull first. 3. yes, i love all your stories and it makes me proud to be a fellow couponer. I took a coupon class in march of 09, we are a family of 5, my husband and i have agreed that we have been blessed with so much and want to give back, we have started providing for a single elderly man in our neighborhood, and can pretty much provide him with everything he needs on very little, you can imagine his surprise, but it helps him out so much, and it makes me feel so blessed to be able to help him.

amy desrosiers January 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm 6

Yes I do stockpile but I think I have too much and would like to donate some to charity.it seems foolish to have say 50 rolls of tp, or 10 toothpaste tubes. why not share our blessings with the less fortunate! I love your sight, but I’m surprised donating wasn’t mentioned in this article. As far as our stockpile goes its nice to have soap or shampoo on hand…especially in the winter. We do not rotate because most of our stockpile is toiletries.

Robbie January 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm 7

I love to stockpile. I get toothpaste, deodorant, grocery items and laundry soap to name a few things. I have a baement that I keep extras in. I watch out for the dates by puttinhng things on the selves in order of expiration dates. I have learned that sales usually go in twele week cycles.

amy desrosiers January 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm 8

Awesome!!

KD January 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm 9

I am new into couponing. Can’t believe the prices I am paying for items after the coupons. Feels great. My only issue is my husband. He does not like clutter and complains about me storing excess items even though you would never know they are here. Any ideas? Example. He threw away 2 free sample deodorants because he said they were in his way in the 1/2 empty medicine cabinet. Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Mippy January 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm 10

Hi Deborah!
I have stock-piled items: shampoos/conditioner, hair ties, deodorant, office supplies and some other itmes as well.
I have gotten them on clearance, usually. Anyone need shave lotion?lol …j/k but i really do have a bunch of those as they were clearing them out.
My problem is havng a plan, knowing how much i will use, etc.

And I am not very good at stockpiling food items. I end up with using outdated foods or throwing a bit away.
As a single person I struggle to find a balance and a lot of times feel lost because without some set plan I will flail around and falter because I have a bad memory to retain prices, what I ave or don’t have, etc.

Thank you for havng these discussions and for sharing of your experiences and sharing your wealth of knowledge! :)

jacqueline dean January 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm 11

I have stockpiled for 18+ years.. When my husband and I married 25 years ago, we had nothing…No money, food, and 1 income coming in… I learned to be frugal, or cheap, some would say… toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, sugar, all canned items, and hot dogs.. Hot dogs b/c you can make 5 or6 different meals from hot dogs… Thanks for your inspirations, many can be converted to our lifestyles…

Christy January 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm 12

I read the article, saw what it said, etc. I’m just saying that hoarding comes from “I’ll use this _______ [eventually]/[someday],” and not everyone will see this in the light you’re intending. It’s not meant as criticism, just my two cents.

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm 13

It was mentioned, – sorry you missed it…here it is:

If the limit is (5) **YOU BUY FIVE. Regardless if you need five. Not too many people need five tubes of toothpaste in their house at once unless they have five bathrooms!! However, they are FREE and you can keep five tubes of toothpaste in your house for awhile without them going bad. You could also bless a family in need, which is what I would suggest you do with some of these “extras”.

Christy January 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm 14

For the record, I still love your blog.

Marie January 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm 15

Yes I stockpile. I stockpile stuff we use all the time. Laundry detergent is my favorite and has a long shelf life A family of 5 we go through a ton so if it’s .50 or under its a stock up price. When pasta is free i stock up sometimes up to 100 because it also has a long shelf life and when money is tight there are several things you can do with pasta. Cereal when school is in session i find it hard to make them hot breakfast (yes i know a lot of people frown on this ) but hey I need to get 3 kids ready. Cereal can have a decent shelf life it’s free i’ll load up and organize it by expiration date. If I start to feel like we are not going through it as quickly as i had anticipated i take the closest expiring boxes and donate them or give them to a family member. Toothbrushes is another you are suppose to change them every 6 months but now they recommend 3. However if someone gets sick i toss them all because well they were free and i don’t have to worry about the germs.
I organize my stockpile by expiration date. I actually have a piece of cardboard with month so it easy to spot for when adding to the pile. The hardest items I find to stockpile are cleaning supplies, this is because I have to keep them locked up as I have a child under 2. I still have plenty but sometimes I get it for under .10 and it pains me not to be able to grab as much as I can because of lack of storage.

I liked how you involve the kids. I give my 5 years old the coupon and when we get to the aisle i have her find the product for me. Than i have her 4 years old sister count out how many she needs to put in the cart.

Debbie Webber January 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm 16

1. Stockpiling has definitely saved me money; next week I do not have to buy groceries at all. I have laundry detergent, shampoo, conditioner, peanut butter, jelly, pickles, deoderant, dryer sheets, juice..to name a few things. I try to only buy bogo’s (with two coupons).
2. I always put the most recent purchases in the back and move the other items to the front to rotate the stock.
3. The tip for writing the expiration dates with the markers is a great idea.
Thanks for the information!

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm 17

Amy, did you see where I say to bless others… sorry you missed that… :) ~ Deb *I have truly blessed others by my stockpile.

amy desrosiers January 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm 18

You are correct sorry I am half dead..I guess I was looking for it to be in its own section. I am reading this from a phone:)

Liz January 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm 19

1. I think maybe it is working grocery/retail stores. I worked at target and have been stock piling ever since. Pasta and cereal never go bad in my house. along with tooth brushs, toothpaste, razors. I have friends who run out of things come here and trade items that there might be a surplus of when the other is running low. We always manage to stay on budget with groceries and sometimes have a little left over for a special treat or the pricey but awesome organic produce :)

2. never really thought about rotating before, might be a good way to make variety within easy reach. just really reorganize a bit every time i come back from the store.
3. the six week average on sales is a real help! i never noticed that before, but now i’m going to start looking out for the cyclical sales.

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm 20

oh!! Funny…no problem…. I am kind of shy, and do not like to say how much I do for others, I just like to do, but yes, I agree…. Blessing others with our stockpiles is the best way to go. I cannot afford to give others $50, but I can more easily give them $50 in products… ;)

Mippy January 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm 21

#3 donating was mentioned ‘…buy more and bless others’ :)
And I love that you are wanting to donate some of your stockpile :) Idk if you have a food pantry in your town, but they can always use toiletries (my mom used to volunteer in one and had mentioned this before) as can a battered women’s shelter, YWCA, homeless shelters, etc. :)

Liddy January 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm 22

#1 – I’m only in the first “baby steps” of stockpiling, so my stockpiles are very tiny! So far I’ve used coupons to stockpile things such as shampoo and some non-perishable groceries. I haven’t really gotten the hang yet of combining sales with coupons for the best possible savings, but I’m working on it. It definitely does save my family money to have those things stockpiled, so that we don’t have run out and buy those items at full price.

#2 – So far I haven’t had a need to rotate items, but if and when I build up enough volume, I’ll definitely mark them and rotate them.

#3 – This article was very inspiring! I learned about how sales on certain items cycle and how to base my buying on that.

Jen January 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm 23

I’m new to this so I dont really have a stockpile. If something is a really good price I normally buy 2 possible up 4 of an item. (Deodorant, shampoo, meds, school supplies, etc)

Since I dont have a big stock pile, I dont have any need for the rotating.

This article was great!! I still need help learning what is a good amount to buy. I’m not organized enough (yet) to really know how much of a certain items we go through. And I’m terrified of becoming a hoarder. (I have pack rat tendency that I’m always keeping in check. But that is more so with getting rid of the kids things. I just cant let go)

However, I have noticed myself saying man I wish would have gotten more of so&so when I run out and the item is expensive.

Thank you for these articles. They are really helping me.

Wanda Patton January 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm 24

I stockpile all health and beauty items (my favorite lotion) paper products cleaning supplies and food. It has all been very beneficial this past year because my husband was laid-off from his job for six months and just returned the month of Nov. We would not have had Christmas if not for the stockpile. I still haven’t been able to replenish but I am working on it. I learned I need to stick with the free stuff and not buy because it is a good deal. Nothing is as good as free!

Maria January 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm 25

Ive already left a message but wanted to comment from some of the post ive read so far. Last week in my church and community we had a stockpiling party, we all brought a snack and 10 unopened items that we no longer liked or just needed to be used within the next month or so, we drew numbers got to pick 10 new items, we had a ball. Also this weekend there is a dinner and auction for a guy that has cancer and is needing money to travel for treatment, i made up 2 baskets to be auctioned, one was full of Aussie products the other was for a man, had old spice bodywash and deordant and a proglide razor and shave gel. these will sell fast and i didnt have but pennies in them.

rose z January 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm 26

I stock pile deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, laundry/dish soap, shaving cream and some groceries.

We we at walmart this weekend and my hubby said he needed shampoo and tried buying a $5 bottle of shampoo. I asked him if he checked the stockpile closet, of course he said no. So I told him no shampoo until he checks. Of course we got home and we had 3 bottless of shampoo, and 2 bottles of hair/body wash that he could have used as shampoo. which I paid less that .50 a bottle for!

Katy Austin January 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm 27

We are just starting to stockpile. Currently, We have Toothpaste, hand soap, ground beef, and Fruit Snacks! :-) I do rotate new in the back old in the front. I didn’t really know about things rotating, I’m looking forward to trying to get a master list so it feels more natural and not as stressed when trying to figure out what to stock up on! Thanks

Melissa Long January 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm 28

I really need to get into the stockpiling. I need to really get a good organization pattern going. How do you double up coupons? Are there certain days that are advertised that they double the coupons?

kathy2579 January 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm 29

1. Do you stockpile? What type of things have you found beneficial to stockpile on? Do you feel it saves your family money?

~~~~I do stock pile, I stock pile things like soups and canned goods. It does for me because I can go a few week with only getting dairy and produce.

2. Do you rotate your stock and if so, how?

~~~~Canned good I don’t really have to .

3. Was this article helpful to you, and did you learn anything from it?

~~~~Yes great new tips. I have a 5 shelf pantry.. I think I can do a few things.

Cheryl January 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm 30

Stockpiling is the best! It is great to grab something from our pantry store when we need it and know that I paid rock bottom price. My husband built a bin and shelving unit on our basement, and this keeps it much more organized and easy to rotate. My brother was laid off a few months ago, and I have been able to help him and his new wife out a lot, which is a great feeling. Thanks for all the tips!

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm 31

Those are two awesome ideas that I never even thought about…. I really want to do the swapping thing… I hope I am #1…lol

Good thinking on the baskets..that is such a blessing what you did for that man. God Bless..

Candy January 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm 32

1. Just a newbie, but I have found oral hygiene products (toothpaste, floss, mouthwash) easy to stockpile. Razors too.
2. Not rotating yet, as I don’t have much. Still learning!
3. Yes, very helpful. I saw this and read the two previous posts too. Thanks for the information.

Sara January 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm 33

I stockpile and I have for years…I usually go for the BOGO and use coupons for that item…it helps when you are on a fixed income like I do.

2. I do rotate my items – using the oldest first…

3. Excellent article and I learned about marking the items with a marker – that will be a lot easier on my eyes…

Anna January 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm 34

My hubbie is a very logically thinking guy and for the longest I could not get him to wrap his head around FREE! I have taken him with me shopping at CVS to show him, and also wrote down the prices at CVS vs. and compared at Wal-Mart what we would pay after coupons (not getting the Extra bucks). He totally gets it now and has given me free raign- even asks me what I got for free today when I get home. I would just find somewhere to store out of sight– Mine is a flat tote under the bed for all of the DO, shampoo- bathroom items. Good luck- he will catch on!

Anna January 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm 35

I love my stockpile!!! One thing I stockpile some others might not is diapers! I have twins, and also if you get a great sale I always like to have an extra baby shower gift hanging around. My family is really picky on food, but I never let a coupon on something we use all the time expire!

Love the blog!

Amy January 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm 36

1. Yes, I stockpile on anything with a long shelf life. Love it! It has saved us a lot of money. I also do toys (one example, when Target has their 75% off) and I love not having the hustle and bustle around the holidays. I can’t stand feeling like I HAVE to buy something. It bugs me. :)

2. I do rotate, mostly with a “put the newest in back” system.

3. Yes, the article was helpful. I love learning how someone else stockpiles because it helps me fine-tune my own system. Plus, the article and all the comments reminded me of how important the giving aspect of stockpiling is. It’s nice to give and not worry about money.

Michelle R January 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm 37

I appreciate the reminder to write dates on things. We usually do that with medicines/vitamins, but I always forget to with cans… and then end up re-sorting every time I rotate :/

My biggest stockpiling flop was mustard! We go through a lot of ketchup, and I got some for .25 a bottle a few years ago. Seeing as how ketchup and mustard go hand in hand… I bought 15 bottles of yellow mustard at a pretty good price. Needless to say, we have only used 2 of the mustard, but I have re-stocked ketchup 3 times since :(

Last Feb I bought what I thought would be a years worth of shredded cheese (extra freezer makes this possible), diapers, wipes and dishwasher detergent. I waaay over estimated on the cheese (even after giving some away and selling some to friends at the purchase price), waay under on the wipes, and was spot on for the dishwasher detergent (maybe 2 more than I will need!) – diapers were tricky, as I had a 3 month old when we stocked, and I under estimated our need for size 3 diapers (she’s a little peanut), and have been supplementing with sales at Walgreens; but I still have plenty of 4′s/5′s that would have taken me to the 12 month point, had they been small enough.

I love not paying for toothbrushes, and have many months worth for all 5 of us! Since we like fluoride free toothpaste, though, I settle for “cheaper” all natural stuff from the outlet store – $2 a tube is better than $5-6 retail. They’re all fine, just sometimes the printing is off, or the crimping is crooked at the end. I make an annual trip to save on gas money, and usually can gauge it well for toothpaste, deodorant and mouthwash – I pay about $60-$70 (which is a lot at once, like a weeks worth of groceries!) for a years supply of all of it – so less than $6 a month is really good, especially for all-natural!

We also eat a lot of oatmeal (a ridiculous amount, actually) – my pre-schooler & first grader can each eat 2 bowls in a sitting, FULL size bowls! We also started making our own bread, so I stocked up on flour – both were on a super sale, and I had coupons (bought some from a different clipping service than you mentioned) to cover them all – even with the cost of the coupons factored in, I spent about .30/canister for Quaker oats and 1.00/5lb bag of Gold Medal flour.

Most of our stockpile is in the basement, where it is cool – and we run a dehumidifier in the wet months – moisture ad heat will ruin food fast!

My general rule for buying things: 1 Is it on sale? 2 Does it have a coupon? 3 Do I have room to put it away?

The biggest problem that I run in to is that I get the great price ad stock up o something, filling the shelf – only to find in 3 weeks that I can stock up on something else and need to reorganize everything to fit it all in! My husband cringes sometimes (jokingly) when I peruse the circulars – he says “where on earth are we going to put it?”

Thanks for all you do, sharing and encouraging us in the art of Frugality :)

Angie Brown January 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm 38

I haven’t got a huge stockpile yet, but I started with laundry detergent.
I also have a thing for body washes, so I have 6 tucked away.

I love the idea about using a permanent marker to label the expiration date on the items. I will definitely be using this tip in the future!

Rebecca January 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm 39

I don’t have much of a stockpile since I have 6 kids…three teens….and we go through everything pretty fast. On top of that, most of us have to use particular soaps, etc. I do have a nice stock of laundry detergent and toothbrushes.

Ida H. January 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm 40

YES! We have a stockpiling household. I stockpile EVERYTHING that I possibly can. I do use coupons, though no stores in my area offer doubling. I match the coupons and sales, but my biggest resource for stockpiling is my local salvage store and Save-A-Lot grocery store. I typically get all of our toiletries, un-expired OTC meds and cleaning supplies. The majority of the store is priced under $1. I have gotten Pantene shampoo and conditioner for as little as 25 cents! I bought everything she had! I’m also able to get makeup for under $1!

As far as groceries go, I look at the reduced meat, produce and dairy products. We have a large freezer in our garage and it stays loaded! The produce and veggies I buy are cooked and put in the freezer within a day or two. We eat lots of spinach in our house, I was able to buy 10 bags of fresh spinach for 25 cents a bag. I made creamed spinach and froze it in individual serving sizes for the kids. I don’t buy meat unless it’s marked down as well. We also freeze bread from our local discount bread store. I typically spend $15 and get 25 loaves of bread. We eat lots of cheese, I stockpiled sliced cheese just last week. They had 24 slices of Swiss, American and pepper jack for .75 a pack so I bought 25 and am storing them in the freezer! My widowed dad has full access to whatever he needs so we are able to bless as well!

I typically don’t need to rotate my stock..if I see something nearing expiration I will give it to someone in my family or church.

I will write expiration dates on my meds with a marker..I do spend a bit of time looking for those. Thank you so much for the inspiration, ideas and resources!!

rebekah January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm 41

Yes i definitely stockpile. Everything from diapers, wipes shampoo, body wash, dishsoap, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, softdrimks, pasta, etc. I’ve been into couponing for about 5 years now but really got into “serious” couponing a couple years ago when I had my son and stopped working. This “hobby” has saved us thousands and thousands of dollars I am sure. I love it when my grocery bill is originally at about $150 and I can get it down to just $20 or so. Its like an adreniline rush!

Jacqui January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm 42

1. Deoderant, shampoo, moose/hair gel, etc
I agree with some of the others writing the exp date is a great idea. Something I will be starting asap :)

Thanks for the great ideas and explanations

Kristy January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm 43

I have recently starting stockpiling, mostly toiletries. It’s nice to be able to go to the cupboard when I run out of something and have it on hand to replace! I feel like I should stockpile more foods, but with a small kitchen and no extra storage space, that’s trickier.
I had not even thought of rotating stock since we’ve only pulled a few things out so far- usually tp or shampoo!
I also had not thought about expiration dates, so I will be marking those soon. Thanks for the tips!

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm 44

Very inspiring…and thank you so much for taking the time to share… Your husband will thank you very much some day when you get to save money instead of spending it on toiletries… lol

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm 45

Thank you for sharing… In my line up for this year’s Frugal Living Series is “Buying Presents Frugally”…and I will touch on a lot of ways, with Target’s Christmas Clearance being one of them..Thank you so much for participating… :)

Tawnya January 25, 2011 at 11:35 pm 46

This is slightly off topic but I had a question about register rewards. I really don’t get them. I primarily shop Rite Aid because its close. I saw an article a while back on how to get cheap diapers. Having a two year old and being pregnant with twins, I figured this was a good one to start on. Got my coupons and went to the store. When you say something is free you are adding in the register rewards a lot of times. At Rite Aid I bought a bunch of Huggies diapers go to check out and my rewards were another dollar off more Huggies diapers the next week. I didn’t really want more diapers. Is this how all register rewards are? Do they just give you a coupon?

Kristy January 25, 2011 at 11:40 pm 47

Great post! I don’t exactly stockpile food, but have learned the hard way that I should at least have some extras. I despise running out of something when it’s not on sale or I don’t have a coupon!! I do, however, stockpile toiletries, laundry soaps, and sometimes cleaning supplies. I try to make contributions to the food pantry each time I do my own grocery shopping, and I also watch for great deals on diapers and formula to donate to the local woman’s shelter. High value coupons that are worthy of a good deal even if you don’t use the item, are still excellent for donating and/or gifts. It really is amazing how quickly a a stockpile (and/or) a donation box can fill up with expensive items that you paid little to nothing for. It’s all about the effort, really.

Darren January 25, 2011 at 11:42 pm 48

1. Yep, I stockpile. I buy bar soap in bulk to last for 6 months! My latest win is using the subscribe and save feature at Amazon for Nature Valley Bars. I order the bulk package (6 boxes with 24 each) and you save 15%. Well, I had a coupon code for ANOTHER 15% off, so 30% total off. Got the per bar cost down to $0.12!!! I ordered 3 times by canceling my subscription after placing the order :)

2. Yes, I rotate my stock. When I buy more of a product, I stock my shelves like a grocery store; new in the back, bring the old to the front.

3. Loved the article. I need to start watching for deodorant coupons!

Patty January 25, 2011 at 11:43 pm 49

I have been seriously couponing and stockpiling for only about a year now. (My mother has always been doing this–I should have learned with her.) We are a large family, so I am not worried about over-stocking most items. We go through them fast. My 12yo likes to organize which helps. Our church has a food pantry that accepts donations anytime and keeps it accessible for anyone to help themselves anonymously. So we bring a bag or two each Sunday of items that were free or close to it that we don’t need. My problem is storage space right now.
I did learn something new–the 12 week rotation of sales. I never knew when the next sale would be so I wouldn’t know how long to plan for. Thanks for that information.
This past year it has been GREAT not to run out of toilet paper and feminine supplies–we have 8 girls, so this is important! Much less stress in knowing we have what we need downstairs instead of taking a trip to Walmart.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Monica January 25, 2011 at 11:47 pm 50

I do stockpile for my family. I like to stockpile canned goods, and toiletries.
It is so nice to be able to have stuff on hand to cook with and to not run out of shampoo and toilet paper! I am learning a lot from your blog. Thanks!

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 11:54 pm 51

So encouraging when I read something like this… Thank you so much for taking the time to share…. Yes, you can never have enough toilet paper and feminine products… (We have four girls in this house) so I totally can relate… LOL…

Deb

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 11:56 pm 52

Thank you so much for sharing that, and reminding us how important it is to take the little bit of extra effort to bless those around us… :) ~ Deb

Bonnie Sue January 25, 2011 at 11:57 pm 53

Just starting a stock pile.
dish soap (gain) ; ) Mostly cleaning items and personal care, toothpaste etc so far.
I move items to front when putting new items away.
I didn’t know about the coupon clippers. What a great idea.

Deborah January 25, 2011 at 11:58 pm 54

Register Rewards and +Up Rewards are printed at the end of your receipt, they are like cash to use the next time you shop. They are not a coupon to buy more of the same thing… I am not sure what happened with your diapers…

Yes, Diapers are an excellent thing to stockpile when they are cheap!!!! :) Way to go!!!

Benilde January 26, 2011 at 12:12 am 55

I stockpile mostly H & B items, laundry detergent, paper goods, canned goods and cereal. On items with short expiration dates, I keep one in stock and when I use it I start looking for the item at rock bottom prices. Since my family is small (2) my stockpiles are smaller but stockpiling has saved my family a ton of money. I recently purchased a house and the best selling point was a walk in closet for all my stockpiling. My Realtor and I had a good laugh. Each month I work on stockpiling a few items. This month was tp at Rite Aid. It feels wonderful when I can donate to fundraisers just by going into my closet. I also usually send friends home with items from my stockpile that I know they will use. LIked the idea of writing the expiration dates on items. I currently just put the newest item in the back. Thank you for everything you do.

Marni L January 26, 2011 at 12:27 am 56

I find it interesting that people often equate hoarding with stockpiling. There is a distinct difference. Hoarding is done out of fear, worry, and panic. It is emotional. Stockpiling is planning, preparation, and without emotion or attachment. Those of us who stockpile don’t have to worry how we’re going to pay for things when prices go up. We can also help others who may need it because we’ve planned and prepared for whatever may come.

Deborah January 26, 2011 at 12:40 am 57

VERY Nicely said…I really appreciate those words. Thank you so much…. :) I am glad that you put it in words that are very helpful. Thank you for being a reader!!! ~ Deb

Marisol January 26, 2011 at 12:48 am 58

Well I have been couponing for about 5yrs now, but after the birth of our 4th child 2yrs ago and health problems I have been out of the loop.
I resolved that by God’s grace I will start couponing this year and I am!
And it is thanks to wonderful bloggers like you Deborah that I have been able to just jump right back in, your encouragement is a wonderful blessing so thank you so much!!

*This article was very helpful especially the 12 week turn around on coupons/sales …. thank you for that “pearl”

*I do want to stock pile, but have not acquired enough of the products that we use to officially say that I have a stockpile.

Our special needs son is also on a special diet and has multiple food and “product” allergies so the things that the average person can eat, wear, or wash with he can not. So we make our own soap, detergent, body butters, cook/bake from scratch … ect.
I still find coupons for the ingredients that we need though (oils, shortening, butters … ) and we are planning on doing a trip this weekend and getting some of those “extras” to begin our stock pile! YAH!!
Thank you again for all your deals/finds that you share with all of us!!
God bless you and yours!
I also wanted to add to the list that a lot of Senior citizen homes can use donations too and so can missionaries!

Deanne Haggerty January 26, 2011 at 1:56 am 59

I stockpile many things, largest is health and beauty supplies. They are organized by date ( use what will exp first-learned that at age 16 working in a grocery store!) It was interesting to know that sales usually run every 12 weeks. I have started to gift from my stockpile and I also donate things I get for free and won’t or don’t care to use. I just wish I had more kitchen storage to stock up on more canned goods and stuff.

Julie January 26, 2011 at 2:15 am 60

1. Yes. We stockpile anything we normally use. It’s definitely saved us money.

2. I try to make sure that the older items go to the front of the stock, but it doesn’t always happen.

3. I loved the humor of it.

drunkitty2000 at yahoo

michele j January 26, 2011 at 6:05 am 61

I love to stockpile,,My favorite items are dish detergent and toilet paper,
I have not been able to stockpile laundry detergent that well.
I do rotate my food stockpile regularly.
I learned that you mark your food items..great idea!

Kim January 26, 2011 at 6:39 am 62

Yes, I have started to stockpile :)
1) I stockpile toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner right now.
2) I have not started to rotate yet, but based on this article – I probably should.
3) I always learn something from your articles and this one is no exception.

Thanks :)

cjumelles January 26, 2011 at 8:25 am 63

I started stockpiling a few moths ago. I started with shampoos, mouthwash and toothpaste and I am slowly moving towards the food section.We are a family of 6 so the more food the kids see as they are teenagers the more they eat.:)Stockpiling for me is a must at this point with the economy as it is and the cost of everything going up.I just started reading your articles and I find them very useful!

holly t January 26, 2011 at 9:29 am 64

I have just started with my stockfile. I have only really stockpiled soaps, toothpaste and such. I would really like to start with my groceries! however, many of our stores do not double.. nor do they accept printed q’s. which upsets me a bit. I really need to work on my time management and sticking to my list!!

Stephanie Brazen January 26, 2011 at 9:36 am 65

I’m just learning how to coupon & stockpile, so I don’t have much yet. But I’m really excited about learning! So far, I just have some paper products… toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex. The 12 week tip & the recipe ideas are fantastic. I’m going to make a binder with a price list to know when I’m getting a good deal, and have a section of regular recipes. Thank you for all of your help!

Wendy January 26, 2011 at 9:49 am 66

I just started recently when I found your blog. RIght now I have a ton of paper towels that I got marked down.

2. Do you rotate your stock and if so, how? I will when I get more stuff stockpiled.

3. Was this article helpful to you, and did you learn anything from it? Yes, I didn’t realize that the sales usually come around again every 12 weeks. I also didn’t know of the site where you can buy coupons.

Liz January 26, 2011 at 9:57 am 67

1. Yes, I do stockpile, mostly staple grocery items and health and beauty items. It definitely saves my family money. I don’t overstock, though sometimes I wish I did because right now I’m out of shampoo and conditioner and there are no good deals! I hate to pay full price or evey sale price without a coupon.

2. I do rotate items with expiration dates, using the first in/first out method. I just stock new items in the back and pull older items forward.

3. Yes, I loved the article!

Amy D January 26, 2011 at 10:15 am 68

Very true the best giving is with a modest humble attitude thanks:)

boliyou January 26, 2011 at 10:58 am 69

1. I’ve stockpiled toothpaste, toilet paper and denture cream (for my grandmother), but never for free — yet!

2. Thanks for reminding me about the expiration dates. I didn’t think about that with toothpaste.

3. The article is very helpful, and I’ll be using a lot of your tips

My daughter and I live in a three room apartment (bedroom, kitchen/dining, living room/my bedroom), so space is tight. Storage tips for small homes would be great!

Amber January 26, 2011 at 11:59 am 70

We have had such a huge stockpile that I haven’t gone to the grocery store for “staple” items in about 2 months! We found out we are moving soon, so now we are clearing out our freezer and pantry. I only buy fresh produce and some meat (some of that we have stock piled as well) since the begining of December. I am now hoarding my money getting ready for a move since I really don’t buy anything right now! lol

I am looking forward to when we move and I can start my pantry supply all over again.
To those that has unbeiling husbands….it took a while for mine to understand the concept as well. But one day he went with me to buy his deodorant and saw little I paid for what I got. He is picky about his products so we are brand loyal. I have to stock up when it is on sale to avoid paying full price for a $10 item! I was able to buy 5 $10 deodorants and 4 $4 body washes for about $15! He’s a believer now. :)

Thanks for the great articles!

sara l January 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm 71

I’ve been doing well creating a stockpile of drugstore items but I’m only just getting into serious couponing for grocery items.

I thought this article was really informative. Thanks for posting!

Jennifer January 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm 72

I stockpile things like shampoo/conditioner/body wash/tooth paste :-) Stuff don’t won’t go bad too quickly…As far as groceries go…I don’t have a huge pile of anything since it’s just my husband and I, we can’t eat that fast/that much!
Stockpiling has definitely saved us $ :-)

Julia January 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm 73

Yes we pretty much stock pile everything – especially cereal and things like canned tomatoes and chicken broth – the things we go through a lot of during the year. Of course it saves us money! I do rotate the canned goods so the older ones are stacked toward the front. I just recently started hearing about the 12 week time period for items going on sale.

joy b January 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm 74

I am new to this but i am getting pretty good stash of shampoo and razors etc.. My problem is our local stores must not be selling any products. Last few times I have bought box potatoes and a few other things I get home and find out the are all ready out of date some by months how frustrating. I think the stores need to check there shelves better.

Candice D. January 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm 75

Yes, I stockpile. I love to get food items free, or close to it, and putting it on our shelf in our basement. Types of things I have done this for is cereal, soups, other canned goods, paper towels, tp, candles, shampoo, body wash, and so much more! It’s so nice to know I can wait for a great deal since I have extra stored up already.

Candice D. January 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm 76

I do try to rotate our stock, but know I could be better at this. I try not to put too many things that expire down on our shelf, because it can be hard to keep up. We keep things that have a shorter shelf life upstairs, so we can make sure to use them.

Candice D. January 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm 77

Yes, this article was helpful. I have heard a lot of these things in it before, but now I realize I could really be better with stockpiling. I have never bought coupons before either, so it’s nice to know a good reputable place to do so.

aparna January 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm 78

Yes I stockpile, but mostly non food items like washing detergent, dawn, soaps. shampoos and diapers.

aparna January 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm 79

Yes this article makes me want to do more to save money.

Stephanie E. January 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm 80

1. Not yet although I am learning, learning, learning from you and others and hope to start. I do can tomatoes & green beans every summer, but I don’t stockpile purchased goods yet.
2.no
3. Very helpful!

Anna January 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm 81

Some stores double coupons- most only up to .50, but what I think is being mentioned that most people don’t know about is that you can use a store coupons stacked with a manufactures coupons- CVS, Target, walgreens – just to name a few have their own coupons.

Lisa January 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm 82

1)My biggest stockpile is of baby supplies – diapers, wipes, cream, baby wash, and clothes in next years size bought on clearance now.

2)I do rotate my stock – once every couple weeks, when I’m cleaning out my expired coupons, I pick one area of my stockpile (toiletries, medicines, baby goods, household goods, pantry items, etc.) to go through and organize. If I feel I have excess, I give it to a local family in need.

3)Yes, article was helpful! Love the permanent marker idea!

REBEKAH January 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm 83

Ive been stockpiling for years. It only makes sense to me to buy things at rock bottom prices and buy as many as you have coupons for so you never have to pay full price again! Call me cheap but i’d rather be called frugal :) This is the way of life for me now, and it always will be!

Christy W January 26, 2011 at 5:34 pm 84

1. Yes I have stockpile in shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, lotion, body wash, toothbrushes and toothpaste. My pantry is full of pasta, mayo, mustard, BBQ sauce and cereal.

2. I rotate stock like at the grocery store. New stuff in the back.

3. i love your articles and usually get even more useful ideas from reading them.

Pamela M. January 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm 85

I stockpile toothpaste, mouthwash and canned fruit. Absolutely saves me money. As a single person household, I do not go overboard, but through free samples and stockpiling, I save a bundle. Whatever I cannot or will not use gets donated to the food pantries that have helped me out in the past.

Pamela M. January 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm 86

2. Do you rotate your stock and if so, how?
Sometimes I am in a hurry and do not rotate it when purchased but find that if I clean out and organize my items every two months, I can keep up on things and not have anything go to or beyond expiration. If I feel something may be nearing expiration, it gets donated to the food pantry.

Pamela M. January 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm 87

3. Was this article helpful to you, and did you learn anything from it?
OMG, YES!!!!!!! Absolutely helpful to me. I had forgotten about the 12-week cycle and a few of the other tips. Thanks so much for this wealth of information, Deb. I LOVE your site!! :)

Frederica Slater January 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm 88

I am just getting started but have started to stockpile paper towels and toliet paper. My fear was I would “waste” money but so far doing great. Keep the tips coming!

marcia January 26, 2011 at 6:11 pm 89

I see/hear what you are saying, but, anyone who has a hording tendancy is going to do it regardless of a article on stockpiling or not. I’m not hyper organized and manage to stockpile, not in every are as much as i’d like but i’m getting there :-) The key is to start small so you can get use to stockpiling and get a good system going. I dont think stockpiling will CREATE hording but it could certainly be done to a super extreme AND being unorganized too could certainly become a huge and overwhelming mess and possibly lend to a hording TYPE situation.
For anyone who has or feels they could slip into hording,maybe have someone to hold you accountable???
Perhaps a future article(if not already planned) could be on how to organize a stockpile???? I think we can all use help here :-)
I pretty much stockpile things we use regularly, pasta, canned veggies(although i NEVER get enough as my girls like just eating them :-P ) sauce, shampoo/conditioner toothpaste, etc. I have a very large family and have always shopped in stockpiling mindset I guess, NOW I DO IT CHEAPER :-)

jodi adams January 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm 90

I stockpile laundry detergent, toothpaste/brushes/floss, heck make that most toiletries, cereals (when they are free or nearly), dry pasta. My friends all think I’m nuts but by doing so I’m not only able to provide for my family of 5 at a low cost I am also able to provide staple items to my sisters family when she is in a pinch and we don’t feel the pinch.

Lise January 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm 91

I love to shop, but I really love to bargain shop, and couponing fits great. I am more motivated since my sister in law got me hooked on your blog, so look out CVS, Walmart, Rite-Aid and Walgreens, here I come with coupons in hand!

jodi adams January 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm 92

I also have what my friends refer to as “the gift closet” and it is always stocked with gifts that I’ve found on clearance (at least 75%off). With 3 boys and a niece and nephew it seems like we always have a party to attend or something we need a gift for so I stock up when I find a good deal and usually have a large assortment in the closet. I sometimes let my friends shop my finds and we all benefit from my frugality.

marcia January 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm 93

I know some people keep a price book, sort of like your coupon binder set up, each catagorylisted seperate, write down prices you find weekly so ou can start seeing patterns at first, but then you can make sort of a master list of I am willing to pay XXX as a maximum and then YYY is the “rock bottom”price fairly regularly you could even note when you found that price last it will eventually give you an idea of when it should be coming around again.

As for knowing what you have on hand, a few ideas would be …
1 have a written menu of what you eat monthly so you have a better number of what you use
2 go through your cabinets weekly just as you would with your coupons
3 keep a running list .. if you get 12 pasta in jan and you eat 1/4 box 2times a week you’ll know it will last roughly until june. Just an example. then take your notebook to the store (3 subject would be great ;) subject 1 is your inventory in writing(when you bought how many last) subject 2 your min/max prices 3, your shpping list of known needs??? coupon matchup at each store? or whatever you think :-) good place to note sites you might hear about while out and about :-)

sorry for the ramble HTH

patti January 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm 94

I have a small stockpile started. I live by myself, so I’m only concerned about having enough for one person. I do rotate my stock. In the pantry, I always put the new canned goods and boxed items in back of the older things…that’s just become a habit for me.

I have only just begun stockpiling health and beauty products. I love your idea about writing the expiration date on the boxes…going to take a Sharpie upstairs tonight so it’ll be handy when I need it.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions. I’m learning so much and thoroughly enjoying myself!

Angie January 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm 95

1. I do stockpile .. less since I’ve moved from a large home to a small apartment. But once we find the right house to purchase, I plan on setting up an organized shelved stockpile area. I’ve stockpiled anything that my family and I use, and even some things we don’t! Those items are donated. Yes, I do believe stockpiling saves money as long as you don’t let items expire or spoil.

2. I rotate my stock my just moving older items up front as new items are purchased.

3. I’ve been couponing for over 25 years, but I enjoy reading of others experiences and almost always learn something new or fun to try .. or something I’ve forgotten! Reminders are great when you’re over 50!

Marella V January 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm 96

I started couponing about 3 months ago and have started stocking.

My stock includes cereal (15 boxes); toothpaste, laundry detergent, mouthwash, dental floss, canned goods, condiments and all most anything that is not perishable; as there is just my husband and me. We are both in sale – commission only – I can live on my stockpile if needed.

I enjoy your blog. It was fun to read.

KD January 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm 97

Thanks Anna – have to try something! That might work – out of sight out of mind!

Megan January 26, 2011 at 8:05 pm 98

I stockpile for my family of 6…right now my kids are 5.5, 4, 2, and 2 months, so I stockpile stuff we use a lot of, like pasta, sauce, soup, veggies, and diapers. When I first got really into Rite Aid, I realized that I could get toothpaste, soap, deoderant, razors, and cosmetics for next to nothing, and have enough that I don’t even consider getting anything unless it’ll be free or “better than free” with a rebate or reward. I’m to the point that I’m about to take a load to our local domestic violence center.

I also find that when stockpiling and matching sales with coupons, I’m able to get higher quality, brand-name stuff for cheaper than I was getting the store-brand stuff before. I was trying to be thrifty, and was just using whatever was cheapest at Wal Mart…now I get nicer, better stuff, and pay less–it’s a nice treat!

My only issue with stockpiling is that I sometimes use the last of something and forget to replace it (or it’s not on sale yet…and I rarely buy stuff that’s not on sale). It’s easy to just “assume” that something’s downstairs on the shelf waiting for me–I’ve learned the hard way not to promise the kids mac & cheese for lunch till I double check! :)

Thanks for the article–I know there’s been attention lately to stockpiling as crazy hoarding, but doing it within reason is a great way to provide for your family, and also have 20 tubes of “free” toothpaste for the homeless when the announcement shows up in the church bulletin

Jennifer Kinsler January 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm 99

1. I stockpile cereal, canned items, non-perishable items.
2. Have not rotated stock yet…just got started stocking recently.
3. Great tips! Learning how to get items for free!

marcia January 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm 100

We have 12 total, 6 home all the time, a hint i figured out, WITHOUT THEM SEEING YOU…you can pack up those plastic totes with alot of stockpile stuff and store where you would store christmas things, out of season cloths etc and they will not realize the amount around. I’ve found the same thing, if they see I bought 22 boxes of fruit snacks, you bet they will have vanished in a week! If they SEE that i got 3 boxes.. they also last about 1 week. … HTH SOMEONE :-)